A New Take on
Hip Hop x Rosh Hashanah
Welcome to RAPentance: The Praylist, a high and holy alternative Rosh Hashanah experience. This musical journey will tap into ancient liturgical themes and refract them through the lens of hip hop to realign your soul. Think of it as Rosh Hashanah: The Remix.
1. This experience is PG-13 & best experienced on a computer.
2. Grab a blank piece of paper and a pen or pencil. This will be your journal.
3. Log into Spotify if you already have an account, or create one for free if you don't, and open this playlist.
4. Remove any distractions and prepare yourself for 45 disconnected minutes of music and reflection.
5. For each song, read the introduction before clicking play. Stop the playlist after every track and reflect in your journal guided by the food for thought.
One of the highlights of Rosh Hashanah is the blowing of the Shofar, or the ram's horn. Our Shofar is Hip Hop. Like the sound of the Shofar, Hip Hop will shake us awake and demand an honest assessment of ourselves. Our ride through music will have three stops, mirroring the arc of the Rosh Hashanah liturgy and sounding of the Shofar: malchuyot (sovereignty), zichronot (remembrance), and shofarot (lit. shofars or poetically, redemption). As the great Rabbi Bubba Sparxxx once taught, "So buckle up, cause it's gon' get bumpy."